These Are the Most Popular Diet Cheat Foods
We’re at the time of year where people are abandoning their New Year’s diets. The gyms are starting to get slower which is great because I’m tired of waiting to use equipment. It’s awesome people want to use the new year as a reason to take better care of themselves. But let’s be honest, this isn’t going to be a “new year, new me” commitment. It’s more like a “new year, so for about a month I’ll behave because it’s too cold to go out anyway” commitment. Again, that’s awesome. I think we should all rebalance our dopamine levels once in a while. But let’s call it what it is: a short term change and not a long term overhaul.
Home Run Inn surveyed over 1,000 Americans to see what foods they cheat on their diets with the most. They went so far as to break down preferences by gender, age, and location. The one flaw is that the #1 cheat food mentioned is pizza and Home Run Inn is a pizza place. That’s like asking 1,000 Bostonians who will win the next World Series and getting 100% saying the Boston Red Sox.
There is a really cool infographic below. If it feels overwhelming, there are some quick bullet points below that.
- The most popular cheating food is pizza (53 percent.)
- The second-most popular cheat category is salty snacks (40 percent.)
- Also receiving hefty percentages (20 percent or more) were deep-fried foods, tacos, soda, cookies and brownies, chocolate, and ice cream.
- Preferences vary based on gender, generation, and geography. Women prefer to cheat with chocolate more than men, and men prefer burgers more than women.
- Millennials are much bigger fans of French fries and tacos.
- The Southwest loves tacos, the Midwest loves booze, the West Coast loves chocolate, and the Northeast loves sandwiches.
- Eighty-eight percent of Americans say they’d drive up to 30 minutes to find their favorite cheat-food destination.